View Single Post
Old 29-03-2016, 01:15 PM
rmuhlack (Richard)
Professional Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Just a final word on cooling and dark noise. Canon 450Ds have been shown in testing (by rcheshire (Rowland), and myself) to best perform when the sensor has been cooled close to 0C. There is not alot more to be gained by going sub zero, and I have tested down to -15C. At 0C the Darks and Bias Frames become almost identical. A Dark (or Master Dark) library can then be easily created and negate the need to shoot them each time or track the temperature they were shot at. Obviously you still stack with settings to eliminate hot pixels, etc. I should add that most Canon DSLRs return similiar results when cooled to these temperatures. Cooling really works, but brings you into the world of condensation management - another topic for later.
My own testing (with both a cooled 1000D and a cooled 450D) concur with this. To manage condensation I eventually settled on a regulated sensor temp of 10C. This reduced dark noise considerably compared with uncooled operation and substantially improved SNR, with regulated cooling allowing the use of dark and bias masters libraries that were temperature matched.