View Single Post
Old 21-10-2014, 11:04 PM
Logieberra (Logan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawziecat View Post
Hi Hugh:

My problem was that the Handymotor, supposedly designed specifically for 4" stock TAK focusers just would not reliably move the focuser. Motor ran. Focuser shaft turned . . . but focuser never moved. This was both on a TOA-150 with the older 4" focuser and an FSQ106EDXIII with the new 4" focuser.

I was informed it came down to the stock TAK focusers not taking gracefully to being "side loaded" with an off-center spur gear driving the shaft.

I tried with three motors for a couple of months before giving up on this system. During that time, it worked perhaps two nights. It was a beautiful thing for those two nights but, after three motors, on two TAK focusers, I had to let it go as a bad deal.

I am still focusing manually with a B. mask but an FLI should arrive soon, bypassing the TAK focuser problem completely. While the FLI is not cheap, I plan on one for an iDK anyway. Might as well use it on the TAKs too.
I wondered about those fancy click lock motors. Having come from Robofocus to FocusLynx, the option of continuing to run the chunky Hurst motors (Robofocus just paints theirs black) was very attractive, and for my two scope/focuser setup, more economical to run 1 x Optec system with dual motor control vs 2 x Robofocus units.