View Single Post
Old 16-09-2014, 10:09 AM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

Question RoboFocus or FT MicroTouch fot Tak, advice please

Hi all,
I'm thinking of automating focus on my Tak TSA-120 and I'm after some advice.

My Tak has the FeatherTouch upgrade on it already so I could either get the FT motor and a controller (thinking Mount Hub Pro if I go with the FT) or the Robofocus. A quick glance at prices looks like the RoboFocus (including controller) would be a couple of hundred cheaper than the FT plus a MHP. The FT controllers seem quite expensive and more than I need hence why I'm looking at the MHP.

If I got the RF I think I would have to put the original Tak focuser bits back on which is no big deal. Also I should mention that I don't need to have a controller with buttons to change focus as I'd always be controlling it through my lappy and software.

Software wise I was planning to use CCDSoft with Focusmax. TBH I don't really want to spend ~$500 on MaxIm or TSX as, other than focusing, I'm happy with the way my software setup is working ATM.

I've been reading a few old posts here on IIS and I've seen a few times where people have had issues with FocusMax and have ended up just focusing with a baht mask. This seems crazy to me to spend all the money for a motorised setup and then focus manually as I can't see that being too much more accurate than the way I do it now.

I'd be keen to hear any experience from people who have done this sort of thing on Taks with R&P focusers.

Thanks