View Single Post
Old 27-09-2007, 05:20 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Ok, totally different kettle of fish now. I don't think you will be able to cut anything off the length. You have what is commonly called a Mak Newt with a corrector plate at one end. A standard newt has the top end open. My belief is that if you shorten your tube the corrector plate will no longer be able to function as it should and you will degrade your view.

You mount will not be smooth or stable enough to do photography through your telescope anyway. You may be able to do piggyback with a camera and camera lens using a smaller scope as a guide scope, but that mount was never intended to to anything else except visual work.

Might I suggest you pay a visit to the Sunshine Coast on a new moon weekend. We have an IIS get together at a members place (Astroron) every new moon. There is plenty of room to pitch a tent and there can be anywhere up to 10-15 people there with all manner of scopes and equipment. It would be much easier to show you what is needed and how you could use your scope and mount to it's best.

If you keep an eye on the Observation Sessions and Star Parties Forum the next get together should be announced in the next day or so. It will be either Saturday week or Saturday Fortnight (or both if we are keen) as the New Moon falls near midweek ( Oct 11 - Thursday).

pm me if you would like more details.