View Single Post
Old 12-05-2020, 12:19 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahnpahwa View Post
Sorry to jump in here, but has anyone an opinion on the celestron edgeHD 8" with fastar at F2-ish? I guess this ends up being comparable to a RASA of the same size (though I assume RASA has different/superior flattening?) but has the added flexibility of being able to image at f10 and also be used visually?

I ask because I'm sort of in the same boat, thinking about an OTA to complement my 8" F5 newt... and figure that the 8"edgeHD gives me focal lengths either side of this.

(again, sorry to hijack!)

JP
From what I have seen and read (As far as I know, Celestron don't make the Fastar any more and have not for ages, but the same comments apply to the Hyperstar) you can get some pretty startling results out of them, however they can be absolute murder to collimate, and at F2 are just as touchy about spacing and tilt as a RASA and you will likely need to collimate every time you fit it. Add to that that by the time you get a new Hyperstar in your hands, between the exchange rate and GST and freight you will spend two thirds of the price of a RASA 8.

If a Hyperstar for my CPC925 came up secondhand at a good price I would be tempted, but if I wanted F2 new, I think I would just go buy a RASA.