View Single Post
Old 25-10-2017, 09:24 AM
Star Catcher (Ted Dobosz)

Hi David

Well it really depends on what part of the spectrum you want to observe? The cheapest option is to go with white light broadband viewing. In this mode you can see details in the sunspots, faculae and granules.

The cheapest and best way to view these is to get yourself some Baader solar film rather than a glass based filter. I have found the film superior to my previous glass filters. You can buy a finished Baader film product with aluminium frame or you can easily DIY a round frame from a container lid by cutting a hole and attaching the film.

An even better result (more expensive) is to buy a Herschel wedge. Once again the best wedge is made by Baader but a Lunt wedge is a very close second and cheaper. Your aperture is at the limits of these wedges to handle the heat so you will need to add a 2 inch UV/IR block filter at the entry point of the diagonal to reduce the heat stress.

If you want to see actual filaments and prominences you will need a hydrogen alpha (Ha) filter and there are several ways to go. In my view, seeing you have a refractor, I would choose a Daystar Quark Chromosphere version. This will give you close-up views of the sun's details but not the whole disk. These are not cheap ($1500+) but will give you the biggest aperture (brightness and resolution) Ha scope for $$s spent. You will also need a UV/IR filter ahead of the Quark to reduce the heat stress. I use one with my 127mm APO.

All other options start to look at a separate Ha scope which have far smaller aperture per $$'s spent. For instance if you want a 100mm Lunt Ha scope which is 30mm smaller than your refractor you'd be spending $8000!! The Quark is attractive because it makes dual use of your scope.

The benefits of a separate solar scope however are the wider field of views that you would get of the sun. You will not be able to achieve a full disk view with the Quark on your refractor, even with a focal reducer. But you will get dramatic close up views of activity with a 25-30mm eyepiece. I have a dedicated Lunt solar scope and I prefer close-ups views on my dedicated solar scope and frequently use higher powered eyepieces.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Ted