Thread: Baader Morpheus
View Single Post
Old 30-12-2016, 01:05 PM
Mamba (David)

Morpheus

Hello Clive,
I have the 9 and 12.5mm Morpheus eyepieces. I wear glasses but not for observing however Baarder claim 21 and 20mm eye relief respectively so they should be good for spectical wearers. A further point in their favour is that with the standard rubber eye guard turned down the glass of the eyepiece is very close to the top of the eyepiece so no wasted eye relief, they also come with a pair of winged eye guards and a gimmicky holder. As has been said before the standard rubber guard is pretty flimsy.
The maximum diameter of the knurled rubber casing is 55.5mm in both sizes so should allow bino use. The Morpheus is a dual 1 1/4 and 2 inch design which if using the 1 1/4 which most binos do it will result in a longer light path. I do have WO binos and will try one of the Morpheus in them to see if it will come to focus, I am using a 120mm f7.5 refractor.
I am loath to comment on the quality of the views produced by these eyepieces given that I am 70 years of age and the eyes equally ancient however for my 70th birthday my family bought me some of the Pentax XWs during the feeding frenzy earlier this year and I am unable to choose between the two,but I always know which is which due to the remarkable almost floating effect afforded by the Morpheus. I would say that for the ordinary Joe they are equal to the XWs
Mamba