View Single Post
Old 17-02-2015, 01:25 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

The "Problem" I keep coming up against is deciding to change target (Which will often be in a completely different part of the sky) and really, really wishing I could just release the clutches and point it myself, but not loose the tracking. Goto is nice to have though and at times is a lifesaver (Try changing targets when your finder has dewed up heavily! I could get a heater for it I suppose) but the slew time is becoming more and more irritating to me.

Regards a wedge, the Celestron HD is around $800 new in Aus, I have tried three times to buy a secondhand one but in all three cases the seller has decided to keep it and pulled out. I have pretty much given up on the secondhand idea.

The other wedge issue is the bearings in the mount. I would need to upgrade them I think. The CPC925 has mostly nylon balls in the azimuth track and they deform slightly under the weight of the mount and scope. You can hear that they are not round if you spin the mount around on the AZ axis. I run it wound a couple of circles to warm them up and round them up again, but with the weight concentrated on the balls at the bottom of the track on a wedge, it can only get worse. I have seen them replaced with hard chromed ones to fix that and I think I would end up doing that in short order on a wedge.