Thread: USB Hubs
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2016, 11:24 AM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

USB Hubs

I have achieved what seems to be a reasonably OK system for imaging which I am pretty happy about. Last night I set it up and ran some luminence subs on NGC3372 (Eta Carina Nebula) for over an hour and it just ticked along.
The issue that I have is that sometimes, it all goes wrong. After finsishing with NGC3372, I moved over to try and get some data on M20.

It was chugging away on that happily and I suddenly noticed that cooling had turned off. So I attempted to see if the system was talking to the camera, it "seemed" to be connected but I couldn't do anything. Then I sent and had a look at PHD and sure enough, guiding had gone nuts (the DEC line had headed off the graph)
I am suspecting that the hub that I have everything running through a powered hub that I bought at the local Computer store. I am running the guide camera, the main camera, EQMOD and the game controller receiver through the hub.
I am suspecting that the hub may be the issue (given that 2 things went wrong at the same time and the only common factor is they both run though the hub), either:
1) I have too much stuff running through it, or
2) It is dodgy being a cheap thing I bought for $25

I am trying to source a Mount Hub Pro but the Aust Distrubutor (Sirius) doesn't have them and seems to be having trouble sourcing them from the UK.

Any thoughts anyone?

Malcolm