View Single Post
Old 17-11-2014, 05:43 PM
kkara4 (Krishan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sil View Post
I use a D800 so get plenty of pixels to play with and fast shutter speed I get good data to work with. just amazing what we can do with consumer gear these days.

somethin i noticed when I started with ISS is that it wasn't where heavens above, starry night or stellarium told me it would be. for examplewith a longer exposure on tripod you get the track of the ISS and can see where it is in relation to the background stars. I never found a star map that gave me an accurate prediction of the iss path for me. This was a while ago. If you use something you find is spot on you could always set up the your gear to point to a region the ISS will cross, then use a fast continuous shoot mode to catch it as it crosses the shot.

I don't know if a guide cam will work during the day to let you practice on aircraft. Hand held was tricky at first for me getting balanced so i could smoothly follow the iss took a little practice. i certainly got plenty of unusable shots but just getting my eye in gave me shots I was happy with, I'm using good 2.8 lenses too. use a mirror up mode if you can, I also hang a heavy weight under my tripods to dampen shutter vibrations. good luck with it, the thought of manually slinging a large scope quickly is scary.
Thanks Sil, what lenses have you been using?