View Single Post
Old 24-05-2009, 12:14 PM
ngcles
The Observologist

Glad you got to observe

Hi PGC & All,

A very good report much enjoyed. Sydney last night 23052009 (and I assume the SPSP) was all clouds so I guess we got the "Melbourne" weather.

What (who) is a "DSE crackpot??"

Yes, the NGC 3576 complex is a very nice target for medium-sized and large 'scopes and shows quite a bit of detail at moderate magnifications and particularly with a UHC filter.

NGC's 5170 and 5746 are very much favourite galaxies of mine too. Under a slightly better sky with 12" you will probably be able to make out the dust-lane in -46 at med-high magnifications. In 12" about x200 will work well. You will probably only see it adjacent to the core -- not so far out into the halo. Under a mag 5 sky in suburbia I could just make it out in my old 10". Not so hard under a "nearly dark" sky.

Also love NGC 6781, 6337 and 6302. Good to see you saw considerable detail in these objects. -81 as you have noted does have a displaced annular "hole" generally north -- I saw it displaced to the NW but it isn't particularly easy to judge directions in the EP in a dob. Well done!

6337 is certainly up there in my fav 5 PNe. Its thin ring appearance (unlike M57 which is a thick ring) and the line of stars across the centre is simply lovely.

Thanks for posting your observations -- I enjoy reading them! Hope you get some more clear nights.

Best,

Les D