View Single Post
Old 02-07-2018, 04:19 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

Quote:
Government levied charges (not local these are a Federal Government requirement) - they are: Airline entry fee, Australian airport gateway fee, Airline documentation fee, Customs Entry fee, Courier from airline to Customs cost, Airport surcharge. Currently these stand at $187, plus you get charged Gst and you already know this is 10%.

So if you could find a product at say:

1. Product example - let's say it is US $ 600
2. Insured shipment to Australia - the example I will use is a William Optics small refractor say 70mm aperture - (range US$90-100) thereby say US$ 90
3. Sub Total US$ 690
4. at today's Westpac Telegraphic transfer exchange rate of 0.7012
5. Conversion to AUD $ 984.03
6. Import costs $ 187
7. Gst $ 98.40
8. Total $ 1,269.43
9. You may also get charged local delivery as well, but this is dependant on whom within Customs picks up your project, some charge this and some don't.

This is merely an example. I get a lot of people that "think" these costs are not all real - and think they can get away with just the Gst, or get away without the Gst, which you can't. They get a surprise when they receive the goods and Customs send them a request for Customs Agency nomination for them to send the import documentation. Plus they do "not" have an Australian warranty as they bought the unit overseas and the warranty applies for the location of purchasing, it's always the customer's call whether to take this risk.

I have seen a hundred and one times where customers get caught with a string of extra costs and are very upset.
This is the reply. Ive googled top to bottom about this government levied charge and havent found anything to back it up. This is the link ive been usi g to explain the new tax with no mention of import duty for less than $1000. If anyone has any proof that this fee exists that would be fantastic. But the retailer is yet to provide an official document explaining this fee.