View Single Post
Old 25-06-2015, 09:49 AM
ntk.thava (Hamish Thava)

I have just went through "Hell and Back" on my RC14 and discovered some stuff to share with you all. Some of you RC owners might have come across the DSI collimation procedure and have tried it. I have been trying to use it for well over a year, starting with my RC10 and have failed miserably until last night. I found out for my RC14, the on-axis coma procedure works according to the document but the off‐axis astigmatism required a slight modification to what is mentioned in this document. Instead of doing it out side of focus, I needed to do it at focus. At focus, I can clearly see the "flat stars" and "pointy stars". Since this is a GSO RC, there is not "pull screw" for the secondary mirror cell. We only have a "push screw" Therefore when they say tighten "pull screw" this means unscrew "push screw". I did this adjustment in almost real time in Maxim doing a continuously exposure of about 2s and that moment happened with just a very slight (abt 1/16th of a turn - like how we always read but never could understand what they mean ...). Like magic, the star field was balanced.

I just thought that I should share this with you all in case you might want to try it out.

Cheers and clear nights...