View Single Post
Old 21-02-2011, 12:53 AM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Fantastic reporting (as usual!) Malcolm. Some wonderful star clusters detailed in your report for me to have a go at.
Reading part 1 of your current obs report, I took special interest in what you said about Sue French's observations. I was just reading her article today before I read your report and got excited to have a go at the pn's she suggested in her 10". If you can't find it in your scope, my chances would be less than yours, so you have saved me my sanity Malcolm, thank you. Must point my scope at the 6 star system (3 being visible) in Castor that she talks about. I really enjoyed her article this month. Les did a couple of super articles himself, tho I need a hundred times more apperture than what I've currently got for his achievements.

Can we all have permission to hate Orestis please? He has an unfair advantage over our larger appertures.
I'll be putting NGC 2440 on my next obs session and attempt to chase that colour.It is interesting what different eyes see, colour wise. When I first got my 6" scope and pointed it at the Orion Nebula, my 20yr old daughter told me it was green. Hubby nor I could see it, so I didn't believe her, thought she was loopy. Until I read up on it. Interestingly though, when I got my 10" there it was - very apparent, but as soon as I upped the mag. I lost the colour. I guess it needs to be distant, to get the benefit of colour. As for M57 Orestis- what colour do you see??? I only see shades of grey.