View Single Post
Old 22-09-2007, 07:21 AM
avandonk
avandonk

It really depends on what you mainly want to do with the camera. Mostly terrestial photography with a bit of astro or the reverse.
The main drawback of the 5D or any full frame camera is you have to put high quality lenses on them if you want the same quality at the corners as the 1.6 crop cameras have with nearly all lenses. Even then you will find that the faster F2.8 L zoom lenses are found wanting wide open.
The 24 to 105 F4L is sharp to the corners with my 5DH even with star fields. This is amazing considering it is a zoom so you wont regret buying it no matter what camera you use with it. The IS is also fantastic as you can get sharp images hand held down to a fifth of a second without any real care. This is only true for if your subject is not moving too fast.

I solved the dilemma you have by hanging on to my 20D for terrestial photography and using the 5DH mainly for astro. I do use the 5DH for terrestial when wide fields are very important.

There is no perfect camera or lens but these days they are all getting awful close.

So the only advice I can give is that you should consider what to purchase only by what you want to do. There will always be a camera with more bells and whistles just around the corner so use the one you have to its limits.

You can never go wrong by getting high quality lenses as they hold their second hand price far better than any camera body.

On a final note the most annoying term in all these equations is the $ !!!

Bert