View Single Post
Old 15-02-2017, 12:26 PM
acotiga (Andrei)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
Andrei,
I am not trying to put up a fight with you, and I am sorry that my comment you are referring to was perceived as anything else but just matter-of-fact statemented, which was based on your own input (cited above).

As you noticed, I personally don't need and I don't like things like that (especially when charged that much - after all we are just amateurs... but this is just me I suppose).
At the end of the day, everyone is totally entitled to their own opinion anyway ...
No problem, if it's the price, I can easily say that I'm not following any huge financial gain out of it. To prove that I can go through the cost breakdown:
- each laser is 30USD - 90USD to NZD=125$
- plastic alone for printer - 100$. This does not include printer cost per hour.

So you now can judge if 125$ is too much for the few hours I will spend assembling it, sourcing the materials, etc.

The main cost are the lasers, that's because of the required boresight accuracy and the wide temperature operating range.

As you said, a diffractive optics element would have been a better choice, and I agree, but a pattern would be 10000USD plus then the cost of each DOE (about 5). A housing will still be required, etc. It was a common sense commercial decision not to go that route.

As for my patent statement, that's just something I'm proud of. I managed to come up with a system, work out the principles and execute it. I'm sorry if it comes across as arrogant.

I agree that there are a lot of other methods available, including doing a dslr drift. And I've tried a lot of them. This was by far the easiest for me so far, hence my enthusiasm, which is obviously not shared