View Single Post
Old 05-12-2014, 05:27 PM
gregbradley

Yes I think that is correct. Although with a telescope a small sensor has the same effect as increasing focal length. Use a small sensor on even a small aperture/short focal length scope and you get quite a magnified image.

For example the Sony 694 sensor on my CDK17 gives a highly magnified view compared to my 16803 camera on the same object. Much like a full frame camera that has a crop mode - you get an instant 1.6X zoom.

The interesting development to me in camera sensors is likely about to be released by Sony. An active pixel sensor that does not have a Bayer filter array, shoots in colour and somehow gets red, green and blue info of each pixel, has 24 stops of dynamic range at ISO5120 and low noise and capable of 16,000 frames per second. If all true it would be an unbelievable jump in sensor performance. I believe its not far away.

It potentially could be a huge advance for astrophotography. Low noise at high ISO being the unkown factor but likely to be good as the pixels can be very large due to not needing 4 pixels to make a colour pixel like in Bayer sensors.

Greg.