View Single Post
Old 04-01-2018, 10:43 PM
Wavytone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finski View Post
It comes with the 2" adapter, can/should I look at some 2" EPs also?
Sure, as per my previous post. But the maximum aperture inside the focuser will limit the useful field of view in low-power eyepieces. It will be a "bottleneck", in the literal sense, like sticking the narrow end of a coke-bottle into the focuser then trying to look through the bottom, as these big low power beasties have field stops in excess of 45mm - which is rather wider than your puny focuser.

Alternatively at some point you may decide to replace the focuser you have with a proper 2" one. Thus begins the slippery slope of upgrades, and at some point you will realise there is more merit in upgrading to a better scope rather than tinkering with what you have.

But IMHO resist the urge to upgrade bit-by-bit, it is ultimately futile when you are using consumer-grade gear. Best to live with what you have and its limitations, for a year or two. Learn the sky, and what there is to be seen. You will know when you are ready to upgrade and when that time arrives, flog the lot and buy a better scope - if you dare.

The only exception to that rule is when you have a scope that is quite special and you will keep for many, many years, possibly forever. My Santel MK91 is one such scope and deserves to be modernised carefully. The other scope to aspire to is a Questar, if you are lucky enough to have one these are treasures for life despite being vintage 1954 mechanically.

Last edited by Wavytone; 04-01-2018 at 11:01 PM.