View Single Post
Old 01-10-2019, 06:28 AM
SteveInNZ

I have a QHY9 and ASI1600. I haven't used the QHY9 much and the ZWO is the colour version but I have another mono camera.
The QHY9 has some advantages (well depth and pixel size) but only by a small amount for most applications. On the down side, it has higher read noise so from a practical viewpoint, you'd want to have longer exposures with it than the ASI. Not a big deal but a difference.
The QHY9 has a custom power supply while the ASI is powered from a single 12V lead and that does restrict your cabling options. The QHY9 has a mechanical shutter which the ASI doesn't. I find this to be quite a big advantage of the ASI because you can use a bright star/planet/moon to find focus with very short exposures. I use it with a barlow for solar system and then swap that out for a reducer for DSO. The QHY9 is purely DSO. If you had an unchanging setup, that wouldn't be such a big deal as you'd be close to focus anyway.

I don't think that either would be a bad choice. Overall, I'd describe the ASI as being more convenient.

You should do a search in the Ad section to check on the going rate for a QHY9. Unless that includes filters, that price does seem a bit high.

I'd also echo what others have said in regards to diagnosing your DSLR results.

Steve.