View Single Post
Old 20-01-2018, 12:17 PM
Wavytone

All, after some experimenting with iPhones, iPads. my compacts and M4/3 camera, an assortment of pc laptops at work running XPSP3, win 7 and win 10, and my macs the conclusion I’ve come to is this is NOT the fault of the websites - it has more to do with the software you use to extract the image from the camera and resize/crop/save the image.

JPEG files are more than just a big bitmap - there’s a bunch of parameters (metadata) stored as well. The metadata includes the orientation (ie which way was up) when the photo was taken.

What I’m finding is that some apps - particularly older Microsoft windows apps on XP and some in win 7 - do not use the orientation meta tag properly and worse, if you rotate the image in the PC the correct “up” information is not saved with the file.

Either:

A) try different applications to the one you’re using to extract/crop and rotate an image then upload to IIS - chances are you’ll find one that works.

B) if all else fails get the image the way you want it on screen. Then use ALT-PRINTSCREEN to copy the window, make a new image, paste what you copied and save that. This WILL upload an image in the orientation you had on your screen.

It seems Mac OS X users are better off as image capture, Preview, Finder, iPhoto, Photos and Aperture all get it right.