View Single Post
Old 14-08-2017, 11:40 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protiotype View Post
I'll be visiting Seattle, Portland as well as San Francisco (...plus Auckland from the air) and plan to view the eclipse from around Madras, Oregon. I was clouded out for Cairns 2012 due to a combination of having family about and me not wanting to drag us up the range so early in the morning, so this one will have a few backup plans on hand.

My other plans are to cycle around to explore those three towns - I was initially only going to transit in SFO, but United Airlines pushed me to a later flight that couldn't connect me with AirNZ at SFO with everyone escaping Portland on the 22nd, so I'm rolling with it. I'll also visit the Museum of Flight and Boeing factory in Seattle.
Sounds like a great trip! Just be aware that the weather in the Pacific NW is generally cloudy...I spent some time in Seattle a few years back, beautiful city, if you get the time take a day trip out to Mt Rainier, up to Snoqualmie to see the falls featured in Twin Peaks, there used to be the cherry pie shop there too The view from the top of the Space Needle on a clear day is breathtaking, and ride the ferry out to one of the islands and back for the classic view of Seattle from the Sound. The Columbia river valley is stunning too, and the contrast in landscapes on the opposing sides of the Cascade range couldn't be more stark. If you're into aviation, you might want to take a trip to the Evergreen museum while you're in the Portland area.

I never made it to Portland, but both SFO and SEA are very hilly...you should get plenty of cardio cycling around there