View Single Post
Old 26-10-2015, 08:19 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Registering DJScotty's Rosette

DJScotty was kind enough to send me the Ha and Oiii masters for his first mosaic panel on the Rosette. He had some interesting registration issues due to changes in the optical train:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJScotty
I have figured out what the issue is with the alignment of stars.
In between shooting the OIII and Ha data, I disassembled the imaging train after a little mishap in the observatory (part of the roof falling on the camera and knocking the focuser out of whack!) as a result, after reassembling, the focal plane was different (slightly tilted differently, resulting in slightly different picture "shape").
I tried using CCDStack2 and PI to re-register the images. Scott also had some success with DSS so I grabbed his final image as well. The results are attached. The four images are a small crop of the worst area of the whole FOV:
  1. Registered with CCDStack FFT (CCDIS alignment failed)
  2. Registered with DSS
  3. Registered with PI StarAlignment
  4. Registered with PI StarAlignment with distortion correction

Ignore the variation in colours and background. I didn't attempt to equalize them. This is only a single test so not definitive proof of anything but I do have to say that the results I can squeeze out of PI, sometimes with a bit of extra work, have always been damn fine

Cheers,
Rick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (CCDS_Preview01.jpg)
22.6 KB105 views
Click for full-size image (DSS_Preview01.jpg)
36.3 KB112 views
Click for full-size image (PI_reg_Preview01.jpg)
27.1 KB111 views
Click for full-size image (PI_reg_DC_Preview01.jpg)
26.7 KB126 views