View Single Post
Old 31-08-2014, 09:34 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgc hunter View Post
That's interesting, never thought that solar activity would affect skyglow. I always expected NGC 1365 to be brighter owing to its relative "fame" and impressive appearance in images.

As for Uranus.... I find it hard to believe that one could see detail on that, I mean it's so small and contrast would be so little that even very mild turbulence would wash out any features. Here is an interesting and heated thread on the subject: http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/38...bands-in-a-c8/
I'd never thought of it either until David Malin did a presentation on the colour of the sky and talked about the effect of solar activity - basically like a low level aurora - particles of solar wind exciting electrons in the hydrogen and oxygen atoms in the sky. He said it's like seeing everything in a bit of a soup. To me it coincided with La Nina and I thought it was humidity. Then he gave the talk and I have to say things have not got better since the sky dried out. Solar observing's great though!

Regarding the detail on Uranus, a case of averted imagination I reckon. 'Specially with an 8" scope as the bloke in that thread used.