View Single Post
Old 15-03-2017, 06:07 PM
Eris (Gerard)

Hi again everyone.

Firstly thank you for your initial replies. The main suggestions seem to be pointing to :-

• insufficient power
• poor polar alignment
• problems with the Dec axis motor

Re insufficient power, I am thinking that this may be part of the issue. When I initially measured the voltage of the transformer it came out to 12.1 volts with the mount under no load. Having said this I have used the word may because this same power supply has worked before in combination with the added load of a SBIG ST2000 and DSLR.

As for polar alignment I am confident the scope is accurately polar aligned. The C11 lives permanently in a shed with a roll off roof and has been used for guiding before. In the good old days I polar aligned through the polar axis scope on the Losmandy and there was no way it was not pointing on or very close to the SCP. Being the nervous type I recently purchased Polemaster from Gamma Electronics which really took the strain out of my back and helped me refine polar alignment further. So polar alignment is very close if not spot on (under a minute of arc).

Thanks Peter for your points about issues regarding the Dec axis motor. As mentioned earlier in the first post, Dec axis motion is temperamental and sometimes does not work at all when slewing in 'All Speeds'. This problem has only happened over the last couple of weeks.

Tonight weather permitting, I will test these ideas re issues with the Dec motor although I'm not feeling too confident about the current weather forecast.