View Single Post
Old 02-03-2021, 07:04 AM
astro744

How dark is your sky? If not very dark then you will see the secondary shadow even at night. The Tele Vue 55mm Plossl is intended for SCTs with their f10 focal ratio to get you a larger half decent exit pupil size but also for maximising field of view. I have one but still prefer the 41mm Panoptic on the C9.25 due to apparent field being more pleasing to me. The 55mm can also be used in refractors as there is no upper limit to exit pupil size because the image is as bright as it can get once you exceed your eye’s pupil diameter.

A 41mm Panoptic would be a better choice but still best for darker skies. I also use a 41mm Panoptic at f6.4 and f5.5 suburban/fringe/semi rural skies I am yet to try on my 16” f4.5 but have used a Meade 40mm 2” Plossl on it and hadn’t noticed a dark spot in the centre under same skies. I most often use the 31mm Nagler now again for the pleasing apparent field.

I often observe with a Paracorr (not always) and with your f3.8 telescope, I would think that a Paracorr is mandatory. Is f3.8 before or after Paracorr? If 3.8 is before then the exit pupil will be 1.15x smaller after Paracorr, (your f ratio is then 4.37).