View Single Post
Old 23-01-2016, 02:46 PM
Visionary (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharian View Post
Ahh thanks for the advice! I just can't get excited for a Newts though. I don't know why.

However I may have given the wrong impression here, I am not expecting some miraculous RC experience. Mostly I am keen because I like them. I don't think that ultimately, at my level and really overall, there is going to be miles of difference between whatever tube I get... not at the $1000ish price point anyway. I am confident I can work out how to use any of them fairly well, given time. I am not expecting groudbreaking stuff here, I don't mind if the edges of shots are a little messy, or if a few stars aren't as sharp as they could be. I have realistic expectations about what I am likely to get here. Regardless of the scope I will see some awesome stuff, take some passable shots, and have alot of fun.

As far as Newts go, I just can't get into them. They somehow feel like old tech to me. I know they work very well and are probably a bit easier, and bang for buck probably better for me to start with, but a lot of this is aesthetics and I just don't like them. Maybe it's because Newton was a knobend (as if you'd go to Trinity... as my wife would say "scumbag traitor"). There are other factors with a Newt but the main one is that if I buy one I simply won't like it as much as a SCT or RC.

When I first started looking at getting back into this I looked at 8" SCTs but they were a touch expensive so I was peeking around for second hand ones (Can probably get one for $1000 if I look about a bit). Then when I was discussing with some people I realised that I would be keen to do some AP pretty quickly. I then realised that RC's were available without having to donate my firstborn. Historically RC's have been like perfect canary diamonds, and now you can buy one? From a 'history of the field' point of view, that is Awesome.

Ultimately, it comes down to what I think is a cool scope that I want to play with, and that is a SCT or RC!

The field of view isn't an issue. I looked it up on CCD Calc and because I am using DSLR my FOV is huge regardless of the scope. Even with a Sony ICX825 chip CCD it's still got a good FOV, certainly a field I am happy with at any rate.

Newts are a good bit longer and bulkier too, which is a BIG factor for me as I have to lug it on holidays with me. SCT's and RCs aren't small but they are smaller than the Newts which makes a big difference in a packed boot full of surfboards, wetsuits, spears, eskys, beer, more beer ... and children. I am a little concerned about the bumpy dirt track to the shack, which kind of makes me want an APO though, but I like the SCTs and RCs a lot more so I'm still keen on them.

With a FF/FR I can knock a RC to around F5-6, which is not as good as a F4 newt granted, but still something that should pull a decent shot in 1 night. Again, nothing groudbreaking, but something OK.

What experiences have people had with NEQ6 mounts and RC8"s? And do the bits mentioned in the list form a reasonable setup, or is there things I should drop, add, think about (other than a Newt), etc?

Thanks again for reading my ridiculous drivel, and for your valuable advice! It is truly appreciated. Chin chin!

Good Lord, you sound exactly like me about 18 months-2 years ago! You may think you will be happy with some shots that are a little rough, well the news is you won't be happy!
You are sitting atop a dangerous precipice. You are about to step into a hobby-addiction that has no ending, more is better and equipment lust, it never stops!
My advice, buy the very best you can. Scan the Iceinspace Classified every day. Don't spent too much on new gear as your gear devalues by about 30% upon opening the box. My regret is I didn't buy enough good gear 2nd hand.
If you are confident this is your addiction of choice buy as big an aperture as you can physically manage. Buy the best lens you can. Buy the best imaging equipment you can.... most of all, buy the very best mount you can!
We only live once, if you have a solid budget, use the budget on the best you can find.