View Single Post
Old 25-01-2020, 09:04 AM
glend (Glen)

I am in a somewhat similar situation, albeit getting out of imaging completely and retaining a residual visual interest in the hobby. Being an old IT manager I know software has no residual value and it is generally not transferable, for those licenses where you purchased. If you are using subscription based licenses, like Photoshop CC, which charges a monthly fee, you can cancel the service but not onsell the subscription.
I might suggest you consider keeping your software, but do not undertake any upgrades in the future (whether voluntary it or forced by the vendor). By retaining the basic software you have the ability to go back and reprocess your files and edit images in the future. Your files should be considered an asset, hard won ones at that, and are your intellectual property. I know in my situation I have sufficient files in storage to keep me busy for a long time should I choose to get involved again, without the need to acquire imaging equipment again.

I would add that keeping the software gives you the ability to, in the future, buy raw files provided by the various data acquisition observatory providers (most whom have very nice capture equipment and locations),

Last edited by glend; 25-01-2020 at 09:36 AM.