View Single Post
Old 25-01-2020, 08:38 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I really am not looking to sell per se, but literally give it to a worthy person (I have a couple in mind). I realise PI involves a user key located in the Windows directory and is updated/validated by a username and password on the site (connected to my email). How I could verify legally my copies were deleted is grey.

Seeing PI is a European company, they will fall under that mandate. Problem is, WE aren't in the EU legal zone, so there may be a Gotcha somewhere. A few other stipulations in the judgment:
  • You cannot sell a services agreement (such as a software maintenance agreement) in this way, since the exhaustion principle does not apply to services. So the acquirer of the license cannot oblige the software company to provide services.
  • The original licensee must not carry on using the software after the sale; otherwise it will be infringing copyright. It must make its own copy of the software “unusable.” Technical protection measures may provide some help, but, in practice, it will be hard for Oracle and other software houses to be absolutely sure whether the original customer is still using the software in parallel with the acquirer of the second-hand copy.