View Single Post
Old 13-02-2010, 08:51 PM
pgc hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lismore Bloke View Post
Hey SAB, That scope sounds like a real bargain. Just the thing to chuck on the car seat for a trip to dark skies, or a camping weekend. Not surprised it won't stand much magnification though.
Second hand shopping rules, ALL my astro gear (except my filters and barlows) are second hand and as such I've saved several hundreds of $$$, perhaps even a grand or two. All the money saved by buying second hand would've probably payed for the SDM!

It will make a great grab n go, definately not a magnification machine (the SDM will fill that role LoL), but it certainly fulfills its intended purpose. THe Trapezium appeared well resolved at 120x, but didn't get to make a proper evaluation. I reckon it will handle powers up to 100x fine, but I have yet to test this, so until then....

Quote:
How's progress on the SDM modification?
Not sure, might give Peter a buzz and find out He did however say that the mirror is of exceptional quality, and that it's "as good as the best" He also measured the focal length, it turns out the F/L is actually 1333mm (52.5"), or F/4.4, rather than the 1415mm I was told by the previous owner.