View Single Post
Old 12-12-2009, 12:36 PM
ngcles
The Observologist

Mystery Cluster?

Hi Orestis,

Quote:
Originally Posted by orestis View Post
While i was looking south i noticed a tight grouping of stars about 15 degrees lower than Canopus which was gob smacking.So many stars.great open cluster.Does anyone know what open cluster it might of been?
Congratulations on the sketch -- very good. Sketching is an excellent way to sharpen your observing skils and you do see more that way because it forces you to look for detail.

I have attached a .pdf of a map made from Megastar that shows the area to the north around to southeast of Canopus. Please note, rather than being oriented N up and W to the right as per convention, I have oriented it so that it will be roughly at the same angle if you face a little south of east and hold the map in front of you so N is upper left and W is upper right.

Not easy to say whch cluster you saw, because at about the 15 degree mark from Canopus, in an arc from N to ESE is a huge swathe of clusters and nebulae. I guess the leading contenders would be NGC 2516 whch is unfortunately unmarked on this map but beside the bright star Avior (Epsilon Carinae) -- one of the members of the "false cross" asterism.

Other leading candidates include IC 2391, NGC 2546, NGC 2477, NGC 2451 & Cr 135. All are bright, well resolved open clusters and are at the 15-20 degree distance from Canopus.

Why not find it again tonight and then compare to the map and let us know which one it was?

Thanks for your report!

Best,

Les D
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Orestis.pdf (59.3 KB, 23 views)