Thread: Neptune et al
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2019, 12:38 PM
foc (Ross)

Thanks for the positive comments. I am sure any of us can get some better Neptune images with small scopes even with current near full moon, but it is good to have obtained one this year to add to my 2019 solar system collection.

Although the C6 is not large in aperture, I think there may be some advantages in small cats like my C6 in imaging in less than ideal inland locations. I think small scopes of this ilk are less susceptible to thermal issues and might tune easier and hold collimation more firmly than many larger Cats as well as needing much less mount to be firmly held. And with its great portability I feel happy to put it out to try on any night even if my day has been busy and my time is short.

I recently obtained a C8,.. about the time seeing seemed to drop here a month ago and although not that much larger than a C6, so far I have not had it produce an image nearly as good as my C6, one then starts to feel less enthusiastic to set the larger scope up on a less than perfect night after a days work.

It might need some additional purchases of a heavier tripod or a cooler or a thermal jacket, though I like to keep things simple. I hope eventually to get on top of it even if that turns out to be simply knowing which nights are worth using it rather than the C6.