View Single Post
Old 09-09-2019, 08:48 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
It depends on the scope they’re used with. They were designed for Pentax refractors which are long out of production.

The Naglers tend to fare better in newtonians but the XW are (mostly) excellent in refractors and compound scopes. I’ve never used a 22mm Nagler but have the 20T5 and it is sharp in every scope I’ve tried it. I used to have the 13T6 (great little eyepiece) and several Ethos. When I got more into imaging I sold them and kept the XW.

I’m probably more invested than most as I have the full set. When the sky is good for my scopes, the 10 and below are great. The 14 and 20 are good in an SCT, and the 30 and 40 are my goto eyepieces in my Edge 11. They’re my keep set, but everyone’s eyes and opinions are different.

Some find they experience blackouts with some of the XWs, but I find if you wind the shaft out it eliminates it. I prefer the mechanism of the XWs compared to the Delos (for example), and find the eye relief very comfortable once you master the wind out cover. The Ethos have little eye relief by comparison, maybe by necessity.
Thanks for the very informative reply. I think I'll have to get at least one for now and see how I like it. I've been hearing about them for ages.

Greg.