Thread: FocusMax v4
View Single Post
Old 21-08-2014, 02:37 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Hi Alistair,

In CCD Commander, I select to choose to focus with a filter. Then, when control is passed to FocusMax, it uses that specified filter to do the AcquireStar function (find appropriate star to focus on based on user specification). In my case, I select a magnitude 4-5 star, above 65 degrees, and, a minimum of 3 degree slew away from my current object. I used to focus at zenith, but, have chosen to focus near my object now, instead.

Once you select AcquireStar, it uses the filter that was specified with CCD Commander. I suspect all other automation software does the same.

Now, with FocusMax version 4, it allows you to select a filter to perform the plate solves and then use the actual filter you wish to focus with.

If you were using a very small bandwidth narrowband filter, the AcquireStar plate solving feature could take a very, very long time, because it needs to expose and plate solve, then move the scope, and perform another solve to centre the star (if pointing accuracy is an issue).

The new feature allows you to select a filter for the plate solves, and, then, choose the filter you wish to focus with. This should have always been made available.

H