Old 25-05-2018, 10:12 AM
AstroBogan (Jacob)
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the info

When I eventually buy the guiding gear, I’ll try your method and see how we go

I enjoy using the Synscan handcontroller as it’s really user friendly and works every time

Quite a few Beginner IIS members have trouble polar aligning, I reckon if their using software assisted polar aligning tools, unplug the laptop, plug in the hand controller and get back to basics. It works for me every time and I have 2 locations ( 220km apart ) where I observe and image from.

Cheers
After months of painstakingly trying to get my autoguiding setup to work, I finally figured it out the other night.

No matter how much extension I used with my 50mm guidescope, I could never reach focus with my ZWO ASI120MM-S. I bit the bullet and purchased a Skywatcher 80 x 400 mm guide scope and with a little extension I was able to focus perfectly and guide perfectly! I use a mono guide camera because of the increased sensitivity.

As I use stellarium scope, I don't even bother with the hand controller. I connect my guide camera to my laptop and then from the camera I connect it to my mount directly and it works perfectly. I control stellarium by using a shoestring cable which is definitely worth the purchase!