View Single Post
Old 15-05-2018, 09:17 AM
kosborn (Kevin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Looking into auto guiding later in the year but would to keep using my Synscan hand controller on the HEQ5 for star alignment / polar alignment and locating objects as I'm getting very good results ( may progress to Stellarium scope or similar later on for telescope control and locating objects )

I assume the auto guide camera connects direct to the Laptop and then the Laptop connects direct to the mounts auto guiding port , thus leaving the Synscan hand controller port connected where it is.

Is this cabling configuration correct ?
Hi Martin,

I think the best way to do it with a Synscan controller is to leave the controller attached to the mount, connect your guide camera to your PC, and then connect your PC to the ST4 port on your hand controller. You probably have a serial/ST4 cable that came with your mount and if you don't have a serial port on your PC you can get a cheap usb/serial adapter (from Officeworks or wherever). You can do all the aligning etc with your hand controller and then with the Synscan hand controller select 'PC Direct' from the utilities menu. From there you can use Stellarium/StellariumScope for goto and Astrotortilla (for example) for plate solving. Your hand controller remains attached and you can use it or your PC at any stage. At least that's how it works on my mount. I'm guessing the HEQ5 software/handcontroller is the same.

Cheers, Kevin

Last edited by kosborn; 15-05-2018 at 10:48 AM.