View Single Post
Old 18-10-2020, 04:35 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Craig,
""I complete my PA routine and attempt to slew to a target, invariably it won't accurately slew to that target as where the mount thinks it is pointing is not exactly where it is pointing."
OK
EQMOD (I don't know about the other programs you mention) doesn't require a plate solve at SCP.

It is reliant on the scope being set to the "home position" (ie pointing towards the SCP. This doesn't have to be 110% accurate.

The "encoders" used by EQMOD then use the "home position" as a starting point for the subsequent slew. When you reach the first target position ( according to EQMOD) there may be a error ( the home position wasn't 100%, flexure/ movement of the scope etc etc). By then moving the scope to the actual target (handcontroller/ plate solving) and syncing on that point you are providing corrections to the EQMOD alignment model which is then applied to subsequent slews.

For accurate slews you really should have a series of syncs which surround your target area(s).

Once you have a good set of sync points they can be re-used on subsequent nights....

All this is well covered in the EQMOD manual (in the EQMOD download folder)