View Single Post
Old 18-07-2010, 05:10 PM
shelltree (Shelley)
Stargazer

Hi everyone,

I actually joined up with Ice in Space about a year ago but I've been really slack so I thought I'd post here again. I've been thinking about getting serious about astronomy again lately, it just excites me so much and I'm so inspired to get out there and view as much as possible (even if my backyard is scary and filled with creatures trudging through long grass that sound like heavy footsteps...)

On Thursday night I had my first look through my friend's 10" Dob and it was UNBELIEVABLE! Experiencing that made me realise just how phenomenal the night sky is and that I definitely want to do a lot more stargazing in the future! I didn't even care that it was freezing cold and that my neck was sore, I was just in awe. We managed to see Omega Centauri, M6, the coathanger, the Ring nebula and Jupiter rose just when we were about to pack up so we had a peak and saw Jupiter and four of its moons. Now I'm pretty set on getting a telescope of my own!

I just ordered the Astronomy 2010 Australia: Your Guide to the Night Sky and intend on getting a planisphere this week but til then I've just been using Stellarium and scanning the night sky with my Dad's 10x50 Olympus binoculars and so far I've managed to see M6 and what I think was the Cru cluster in the Crux constellation but there is so much out there it can get a bit confusing as to what's what!

Anyway, I've ranted enough, I'm sure I'll be posting frequently now with all my newby questions so watch out!

Last edited by shelltree; 22-07-2010 at 08:12 PM.