View Single Post
Old 07-05-2014, 12:34 AM
H.Treur

Introducing myself

Hello to all,

I am new to his forum. My name is Harro (44) and I live down under (as seen from your perspective), in the Netherlands.
Like the most of you I also have a livelong attraction to the starry skies. Furthermore I can get very enthousiastic about building telescopes from surplus materials. Starting with LEGO and carton-rolls in the seventies, but using steel, aluminum and pyrex nowadays.
My pride and joy is a lightweight 16 inch Dobson with an integrated Poncet-platform.
Recently, I also coöperated in the development of the iphone-app Darkskymeter.
In the past I have been quite active at the Dutch Astroforum.nl.

My first contact with Ice in Space was 6 years ago: when looking for inspiration for Dobson-projects, I stumbled upon the wonderful minimalistic telescopes of your forum-member Alan Scott.

The reason I have registered for the Australian Ice in Space-forum is the following:
My sister is living in the hills west of Brisbane. We are planning to visit her in 2015 (We=my wife and two kids).
This will be my first visit to the southern hemisphere, so I will be confronted with new and unexplored views of the heavens. I hope this forum can act as a starting guide in this.
Maybe there will be possibilities to visit some Australian starparties. Or maybe explore the possibilities to borrow a telescope.
Anyway: I would like to arrive a kind of prepared for some astronomical adventures in the summer (your winter!) of 2015.

Best regards

Harro Treur
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Harro - at La Palma with 16 inch.jpg)
173.7 KB203 views
Click for full-size image (Under the spectacular sky - on the isle of La Palma.jpg)
196.8 KB119 views