View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 10:07 PM
Tandum (Robin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
I really can't comment on the OSC in both these make and model of cameras but what I can say is if dealer support is of importance to you, I would look at the QHY Range. Theo literally goes out of his way to keep you imaging. I can vouch for this.
As for build quality I don't think there will be anything in the two. Qhy are now made by a professional electronics company in China just as the SBIG are.
Software is supplied with both and drivers are also kept up to date for both.
My choice would be the QHY on price if for no other reason and then the follow up assistance and support given by Theo seals the deal for me.
Cooling with a 2 stage peltier capable of 50 degrees below ambient is also a very handy extra for this particular CCD. Noise free at -20 not so at -10.
I'll agree to disagree here doug. I bought the sbig cos QHY could not fix my QHY9. It was unusable for 4 months from when I bought it. I was told it just needed new drivers with better clamping, which where not available. The camera was finally swapped 4 months later after a lot of screaming by me. The new drivers where still not available then, but the camera swap fixed my problem. This indicates a quality control problem to me and I also wonder who got my old camera?

The sbig drivers update over the Internet automagically.

There is no comparison in build quality, the sbig is far superior, have you seen inside one? Design is also part of build quality.

As for backup service, theo really does go out of his way, but when I had fogging problems with the sbig, matt from sbig was on the email to me within 24hours and we sorted it out in a few nights, not 4 months. I know theo's hands were tied at the time as the cameras where in short supply.

Coolling is the big one, qhy wins hands down.

I wouldn't mind another cooled OSC, there's always a place for one here.

Last edited by Tandum; 11-03-2011 at 10:20 PM.