View Single Post
Old 02-10-2017, 07:56 AM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionary View Post
Bojan,

Would it be possible for an image of your arrangement to be taken and posted? What you have designed sounds very intriguing and promising. Cheers David
Hi David,
I will post image of setup soon...
It is very simple, I have a compass mounted on aluminium 10mm "L" profile, ~1m long, that can be mounted (with 1/4" UNC screw) on the mount (I drilled and tapped the hole at one side of both my LXD75 / EXOS2 and EQ3 mounts for that purpose).

When I was doing alignment the first time, first I levelled the mount and them found the S pole with polar finder (which was calibrated on distant terrestrial object first).
Then I mounted the compass (originally it was used in some sort of artillery aiming gadget, I found it a long time ago in one military surplus store) and adjust it more accurately (I started with -11° which is the approximate value for Melbourne) .

When I go out with the mount, the aim obtained with help of bubble level and compass places the S pole in the polar scope field, and this is even accurate enough for wide field (up to 100mm FL and exposure times up to minute).