View Single Post
Old 20-08-2018, 02:07 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Looks like the rj9 to rj11 cable is a probable culprit but, as Andrew states below, I won't know for certain until I replace it.

Now to look at options for a new cable, make my own, find an aftermarket cable made for the job or, buy the meade cable...

I'll figure it out, it's not urgent by any stretch of the imagination.

Thankyou very much to Andrew for his assistance & patience in helping me to nut out the likely cause of my problem.

Gday Carlton

I am now reasonable confident that it is the Meade cable which isn't working properly.

The only acid test is to use a second cable, or try your cable on another handbox.

I've been looking to see what might be available commercially (other than a Meade cable) but, can't seem to find a great deal. I can find curly cable rj9 to rj9 (telephone handset cable) but, I don't know if that would work.

To work with the Meade adapter and a 497 handbox, it requires a 6P4C connector at one end and a 4P4C at the other.
It also has to be wired correctly.
If you put the 2 connectors on your cable side by side and facing the same way, you will see they are wired opposite hand.
That is what the new cable needs to be like.

ie one connector has pins 1,2,3,4 and the other 1,2,3,4,5,6
They need to be wired as

1-5, 2-4, 3-3, 4-2

Getting a defunct handset cable from a tech/junk pile may work OK and then just solder it to a DB9????

If I did indeed find something commercially would it be wired correctly as a matter of course?

Correctly for what :-)
All cables are different for different purposes.
Nothing is "standard" for all things.

You need to look on the net as to how a specific cable is actually wired.
IIRC, a phone handset cable has RJ9s at both ends ( as it can be used to replace the Hbx cable for an LX200 ), soo if it is RJ9 both ends, you would need to cut one end off and solder the free end to a DB9.
At the end of the day, you just do a continuity test, to see if it is wired as per the piccy i posted.

What about if I could find an Rj9 to rj11 cable commercially, would it be wired correctly to the corresponding contacts?

As per above, i dont know that, You would need to see what the pinouts definition is for the specific cable.

Andrew