View Single Post
Old 20-08-2018, 11:06 AM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Hi Andrew,

Well, I think I have done this correctly... can't be 100% sure coz I may not have a clue what I am doing...

Firmware version number is: 31Ee

I bought the scope secondhand, I suspect the firmware may never have been updated. Not necessarily a big deal as the handset functions as it should.

I think I have tested the cable & USB/serial adapter.

Your program certainly found a comm port & looked for a scope (using the auto function. It tried across a number of baud rates & could not find the scope.

I then attempted to loop across the tx/rx terminals on the rj9 plug that plugs into my handset. terminals 1 & 2 using the diagram available on Weasners. Ie: turned the plug upside down so the locking tab was on the bottom & if you look at the plug end on, I believe it should be the first two terminals on the left. I used a small flat blade screw driver to cross connect the terminals.

I then used the send button on the terminal screen using the default code that was in in the edit box ':gc#' and also typed in a string of characters...

All I got back was 'action timed out'

I have to presume I actually managed to cross connect the terminals, not sure how else to do it & not sure how to verify that I did in fact cross connect them.

Should I try other terminals on the plug in case it is wired incorrectly, I did read somewhere that a batch of these cables came out incorrectly wired.

Otherwise, from the tests I have attempted, does it indicate that the either the cable or the serial plug (Meade supplied I believe) don't work?

I am really grateful for your assistance but, wonder if we might be able to speak in real time, via Skype chat or, even Skype video call perhaps?

Regards

Carlton

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJ View Post
Gday Carlton

My PEC editor has the equivalent functionality of Hyperterminal
built in on the logging tab.
You just send a command from an edit box and the log will show both Tx and Rx data

Yep, or you can go to the "Statistics" menu option and get the full version no.
Andrew