View Single Post
Old 06-05-2018, 10:41 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Chance to see Europa in front of its shadow

Europa transits across Jupiter during the crucial hours of Opposition during the evening of May 9th. Might the aligning of Europa with its shadow make Europa any more visible during its transit?

The shadows ingress is at 21.21 EST. Europa's transits begins one minute later, so I assume that is just before the precise moment of Jupiter being in opposition. The alignment of Europa and its shadow changes during the transit. Europa's egress from the transit is at 23.31, whereas the shadow does not egress for another 5 minutes.

With this sensitive change in alignment during this pre to post opposition period, I am wondering if Europa may be seen against the background of its own shadow? My guess is that the shadow will not be seen in the first half of the transit, but later, the shadow may be partly offset, and thus may appear to the trailing edge of Europa. Will this make Europa easier to see? I don't know, but this chance alignment only occurs irregularly every few years (that is, one of Jupiter's moons being actually in transit at the time of opposition).

Therefore, I intend to take this rare chance to observe and see (clouds willing!)