Thread: Eyepieces
View Single Post
Old 18-08-2018, 03:53 PM
morls (Stephen)
Space is the place...

Hi Brendan,

I've tried a few different eyepieces, first in my 8" dob (f6) a few years ago and most recently in my 180 Mak (f15). I'm still pretty new to all this, but maybe my experiences might help? There are plenty of others here with a heap more experience than me, so what follows is purely based upon my own experience with the above scopes, alongside reading in the different forums etc...

In choosing eyepieces for the dob vs mak, the difference in focal length is an important factor. Generally, longer focal length = less demanding of eyepiece = less expensive eyepieces will give good views. So, when I think of an eyepiece for the mak I take this into account, and so can consider a wider range of brands/quality/type.

When I had the dob, I spent a lot of time replacing the collimation screws and springs, got the best collimation gear I could, and basically tried to tune it really nicely. I tend to go into things deeply, and so the logical path as I saw it was to get the scope and eyepiece tuned and matched. The setup that gave me the best views with this scope was dark skies, painstaking collimation and a 13mm nagler. Just beautiful.

The views I got through this scope with other eyepieces were great (GSO, meade), but with the nagler they were exceptional. This taught me that when the eyepiece is well engineered the results speak for themselves.

The same goes for my eyepiece choice with the f15 mak. I've splashed out a lot of spondoolas for a 35mm Panoptic, for a couple of reasons: a) my experience with the nagler; b) I won't have to wonder if there's a 'better' eyepiece in this focal length for this scope. There probably is, but the panoptic is fantastic, and the next step up in quality is a BIG step up in aforementioned spondoolas.

I can't tell you which eyepiece would be best for you, but I've learnt that you get what you pay for, and the resale value on a premium eyepiece, provided you look after it, is very encouraging. But, the chances are you won't sell a premium eyepiece, a statement I make based solely on my own experience...

A lot of members here have posted great info about eyepieces. Two whose comments are always thoughtful and considered are ausastronomer and Mental4astro, but there are many others as well. Mental's research into matching eyepiece type to scope type is very interesting...

My own findings are that premium eyepieces make a substantial difference to my viewing experience, so much so that I'm prepared to wait a few months to save up for another premium rather than buy 5 or 6 serviceable eyepieces. Buy once, and buy well.

I think there is a law of diminishing returns per $ spent, in that once you get into the area of 95% excellence, the amount of money needed to gain that last 5% becomes much greater. A nagler or pentax or similar is, in my mind, that level of 95% excellence that gives astounding views under the right conditions. These may cost hundreds of dollars each, but with three or four of this quality and my 180 Mak I'm going to be very very happy.

This is, of course, just my own limited experience talking. I guess the main point I want to make is that the exceptional quality of viewing, and so great joy in using the gear and sense of awe I feel when looking through the scope makes these eyepieces worth every single cent, and more.

Stephen

Last edited by morls; 18-08-2018 at 05:09 PM.