View Single Post
Old 27-03-2011, 06:29 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Again, thanks guys. My big problem with buying off Ice Trades is that by the time I factor in exchange rate and shipping it gets pretty dear and many listings say 'Australia and 'Pickup Only'. The ones I have seen (and their equivalents, Vixen, Losmandy etc ) all either work out the same or dearer than buying a new HEQ5 Pro in NZ, $1795.
The $1500AUD setup becomes about $2200NZ or more by the time it gets here. NZ $ is buying about 73 cents AU at present. Ditto for bringing stuff in from the states. Your exchange rate to US$ makes it good for you guys.

And due to the smaller market, less suppliers and local demand you don't see much available over here either in second hand ED80 or mount range.
May have to look at equivalents across the mount range and just watch the local second hand trade like a hawk. So far I've listed Losmandy GM8S, Vixen SXW and Meade LXD-75 as being similar but I don't think I've ever seen any listed here. Might put out an APB to the nzastronomer distrib group to see if someone has a neglected mount they have upgraded from sitting in the back of the garage looking all forlorn. I can fix anything if I have to.

Thanks also to a couple of people who have PM'd me re this in great depth. Just makes you appreciate the knowledge and help on here, and the steepness of the slope !!