View Single Post
Old 29-11-2007, 07:54 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Matt

Do not consider the DFK (colour) – it has a factory fitted (non-removable?) IR filter designed more for general terrestrial use; it is not optimised for astronomy. So, that leaves you with:

DMK – mono, no filter fitted as standard, or,
DBK – colour, no filter fitted as standard.

For both the DMK and DBK you will need to purchase an astronomical UV/IR block filter, such as the Baader one.

I have a DMK (mono) which is great for high resolution imaging of the Moon. It is more sensitive and less noisy that the DBK (colour) if you want to use it as an auto guider.

I also have a DBK (colour) for brighter double stars. When I have compared the DBK with the DMK, I find the DBK noisier (I have to pump up the Gain more) for fainter multiple stars, such as those in the Trapezium in Orion, whereas the DMK requires less Gain and therefore produces nicer images – it allows you to go “deeper”.

I suspect it will be almost impossible to make a judgement based upon just reading text in these posts, so purchasing either camera may be a risk, possibly leading to some disappointment unless you have previously tried imaging with a webcam?

I have used the DMK and DBK on the same objects in the same session and the differences become very clear when seen in this manner. I would recommend you try to get some practical experience if someone lives nearby, as that will reduce the uncertainty in your decision – it is not an easy one!

Cheers

Dennis