View Single Post
Old 29-05-2018, 02:12 AM
Eratosthenes (Peter)
Trivial High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
It must be hard to undertaken such an assessment of other humans without considering their failings as one would rank them to whatever values followed.
I was always a problem at school asking questions that the rest of the class would laugh at but the teacher would give me that strange look as I he saw the problem as I did.
I was probably classed dangerous because I thought about things a lot.
I now know that one is best not to ask a question unlesss you already know the answer.
Alex

The Socratic method of teaching and education revolves around the posing of questions.

In many education systems around the world today, the emphasis seems to be on discipline, following routines, being on time, completing tests, and jumping through various official hoops which creates an atmosphere where certain questions cannot be entertained in the class room environment.

It has even affected the progress of Science and Technology.
Where are the Big ideas today? The Big Dreams? Doing Science freely, and for the sake of it, rather than meeting corporate goals, or improving efficiencies so that more profit can be made. Or designing new weapons, new spy technology etc.

I have professionally experienced it myself and it saps the soul and dampens the spirit. Eventually, being paid to fit into this restrictive neurotic asylum isn't enough to keep one interested.

Astronomy and music are great hobbies for me in that they can counter this state of dull drabness

cheers