View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012, 02:23 PM
John0z (John)

Hi,

I just wanted to put in my 10c worth - I guess. I have to agree with the comments that have been given so far. The main thing is that if you have a good EQ mount, and the mount is polar aligned well, and if the sidereal tracking is good enough - you will be able to get some good photos (lots of if's). If you want to go for longer exposures, like 10 minutes - none of the EQ mounts will be able to do this and give pinpoint stars without some form of autoguiding. The LX80 will of course keep the object in the field of view of the eyepiece for hours at a time (from quote) but not necessarily in the same position in the eyepiece. As mentioned, PEC will help.

The best way is to go through the process of polar alignment as best you can, then also use an autoguider. If you read through this forum, people are using off-axis guiders, and on-axis guiders and parallel mounted guiders - they all have a learning curve. I haven't gotten that far as yet, but I do have a GM8 which was the best I could afford, and I have been steadily accumulating bits and pieces.

Good luck with your choice of mount and imaging.

-John