View Single Post
Old 25-09-2009, 09:50 AM
rogerg (Roger)

I have the 17-40 and Christine has the 24-105. If I were to buy one lens I would definitely go the 24-105. The zoom range is very nice and very suitable to "every day" type shooting. It suits almost any situation for family gatherings, general photography, landscape photography. The 17-40 is excellent also, but lacks that zoom range and so doesn't end up working as well for many situations. My combination is 17-40 and 70-200, and I'm often switching between them to get the zoom I want.

With a full frame camera the 17-40 provides a stunning wide perspective which allows some nice unique shots. That's actually what I bought it for, back when I had my 35mm film EOS camera.

When buying the 24-105 we were concerned it would not be wide enough. So far it's been quite sufficient for indoor shots etc, the situations where we thought it would need to be wider.

Both those lenses are excellent in terms of build quality so no difference there really. My 17-40 has been in many wet and sandy situations on beaches as storms have come in, etc.

Roger.