View Single Post
Old 03-08-2018, 09:15 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

My observations

I viewed these earlier this evening. The Crown shape was faintly visible from my backyard, although it was a bit difficult to see.

I used my Tak 100mm (FL 740mm, on an AZ mount.) For EPs, I mainly used a 24mm Panoptic, a 10mm & 4mm Radians and 15,7 & 5mm Delites.

Objects of interest

NGC 6726 & NGC 6727 + NGC 6729: A famous, often photographed area that contains the nebulae...
I did see a small, obvious area of nebulae in the correct area. It reminded me of viewing M78 in Orion with too small a telescope. I am not sure which NGC that would be. Other than that sighting, I sensed that the region had touches of light blue in the background.

I was prepared to see nothing, so I am happy with the above. Hopefully, I will be able to view this soon with a larger scope from a better location.

Brso 14: This is the double star mentioned above. They are a pair of Mag 6 stars with a seperation of 12.8".
These appeared as a near equal pair and could be split with 30x.

h5014: A pair of mag 5.7 stars, with a separation of 1.7"
An equal looking pair, just split with a 7mm Delite (105x). They were an easy split with a 4mm Radian. (185x)

Kappa Coronae Australis: A showpiece double.
A nice, bright,slightly unequal pair that was easily split at 30x.

The Main Stars.

Alpha Coronae Australis: Meridiana. Spins in 14 hours, which is close to its breakup velocity.
Appeared as icy white in colour.

Beta Coronae Australis: K type Giant
Looked to be medium-orange in colour

Gamma Coronae Australis: Binary with a period of 121 years.
A near equal pair of yellow stars. It appeared more like a figure 8 with the 4mm (185x) than a clean split. It appears Hass made a rare error here, as she described the stars as being mag 4.5 & 6.4. However, other literature (for example, Burnham) confirmed that the pair are near equal in magnitude.

Delta Coronae Australis: An Oragne Giant
Appeared light orange in hue.

Eplison Coronae Australis: Varies by 0.25 magnitudes over 14 hours.
I had difficulty with detmining the colour of this one. I settled on a lemon-white hue.